Ultimate Holiday Shopping Guide
by Sophie Roberts and Jennifer Rotner, 11/03/2008
It’s that time of year again. Bright lights, extravagant decorations and holiday cheer are here—along with the challenge of finding the perfect gifts for everyone on your list. To help you out, we checked in with some of our favorite locals to see what they’re giving this year. From tote bags that make a statement to custom-made cookies to membership at some of the City’s—and the world’s—best museums, each offered different take on what makes the greatest present. But on one thing they agree: New York City is the place to shop this season.
Senior Vice President, IMG Fashion—Organizers of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week
“New York City is the best shopping city in the world. It gets you in the holiday spirit with the amazing window displays, the crowds of shoppers and the energy of the City.”
1. Artisan dyed blanket sarong from Urban Zen
2. Fine jewelry snowflake pins from Saks Fifth Avenue
3. Elsa Peretti silver pens on a cord from Tiffany & Co.
4. “Autism Speaks with Hope” Necklace by Judith Ripka
5. Collectors bracelet from Stephen Dweck
Deputy Editorial Director, Paper Magazine
“If you can’t find it in NYC, you can't find it anywhere.”
1. A Baccarat Christmas tree (my mother collects ‘em!)
2. A Balducci’s gift basket of culinary classics (for my brother who is a great weekend chef)
3. Tote bag from Stella McCartney. She’s cruelty free and this present’s for me!
4. Custom-made cookies from Eleni’s. Everybody loves a fancy cookie, and these look so amazing you almost don’t want to eat them. Almost!
5. A weekend at the St. Regis hotel. What better way to spend a romantic weekend than in the lap of luxury?
Chef and Owner, Le Bernardin
“I can walk into any store, and I find the prices very competitive—and of course the selection is unparalleled.”
1. Any Cuisinart-brand toaster oven from Williams-Sonoma in Columbus Circle
2. Beautiful art and culture books from Rizzoli Bookstore
3. Steven Alan shirts from the Steven Alan Annex in TriBeCa
4. Rare and imported cheeses and cured meats from Agata & Valentina
5. Toys from FAO Schwarz
“I love giving an experience that we can all do together rather than something tangible—and for that, there’s no better place than NYC.”
1. I’m taking my whole family to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.
2. Family memberships to an art museum, like the New Museum, MoMA or the Cooper-Hewitt
3. Ice skates and day of skating at the Pond at Bryant Park—it can be romantic for just the two of you, or take the kids and all their friends.
4. I take a big tin of Garrett Gourmet Popcorn to every holiday party. It reminds me of Chicago, my hometown....and I love it.
5. Tickets to a tropical escape from the blustery winter: the Butterfly Conservatory at the American Museum of Natural History
“Part of the fun of doing your holiday shopping in New York City is that you’ve got everything at your fingertips—from experiential gifts like theater tickets to fantastic material finds like luxury cashmere.”
1. Cashmere thermal for my dad from Marc by Marc Jacobs
2. Theater tickets and my book, Fashion Inside Out, from Barnes & Noble, for both parents—they’re coming to NYC for Christmas this year!
3. Sanford Prismacolor Deluxe Collection colored pencil set from Lee’s Art Shop and the iPhone 3G from the Apple store for my boyfriend
4. Tattoo for myself at Dare Devil Tattoo on Ludlow Street