Since New Yorkers in the service industries (hotels, restaurants and transportation) have tips factored into their wages, tips are expected and greatly appreciated. Here's how much you should tip for service:
• Hotel doorman: $1 for hailing a cab
• Porters and bellhops: $1–$2 per bag
• Housekeepers: $1–$2 per day of your visit, or as much as $5 per day
• Waitstaff and bartenders: 15–20% of total bill
• Taxi drivers: 15–20% of total fare
• Tips for other service personnel, such as theater ushers, tour guides and coat-check staff, are always appreciated.
• New York City sales tax is 8.875%.
• There is no City sales tax on clothing or footwear.
• State tax of 4.375% is charged on clothing and footwear when the total exceeds $110.
• Prices marked typically do not include tax.
Banks & Currency Exchanges
American Express Travel Services, ; 800-297-2977
111 Broadway (at Pine St.), New York, NY 10006; 212-693-1100
347 Fifth Ave. (bet. E. 33rd and E. 34th Sts.), Ste. 610, New York, NY 10016; 212-889-2345
200 Vesey St. (at West St.), 3 World Financial Ctr., lobby level, New York, NY 10285; 212 640-5130
1270 Ave. of the Americas (at W. 50th St.), 15th fl., New York, NY 10020; 212-897-5000
374 Park Ave. (at E. 53rd St.), New York, NY 10022; 212-421-8240
The Change Group New York, changegroup.com
234 W. 42nd St. (bet. Seventh and Eighth Aves.), ground floor, New York, NY 10036; 212 391-7258
720 Seventh Ave. (at W. 48th St.), New York, NY 10036; 212-245-7020
1568 Broadway (at W. 47th St.), New York, NY 10036; 212-730-1686;
Choice Forex Inc., choicemoneyus.com
Empire State Building, 350 Fifth Ave. (bet. W. 33rd and W. 34th Sts.), ground floor, New York, NY 10118; 212-268-4525
401 W. Broadway (bet. Spring and Broome Sts.), New York, NY 10012; 212-966-7080
Western Union, westernunion.com, 800-325-6000