recipes / pan-roasted poussin with kale, creamed corn, scallion wheat pancake and rosemary-maple chili sauce
by NYC Editor, 01/27/2009
- Barrel-Aged Feta-Crusted Halibut
- Beef Bourguignon
- Crispy Okra Salad (Kararee Bhindi)
- Dark Chocolate Pear Tart, Milk Chocolate Cream
- Grilled Seafood Sausages with Beurre Blanc Sauce
- Kataifi-Wrapped Scallops with Shallot-Thyme Sauce and Balsamic Reduction
- Mario's Meatballs
- Osso Bucco Salute
- Pan-Roasted Hanger Steak on Toasted Country Bread
- Pan-Roasted Poussin with Kale, Creamed Corn, Scallion Wheat Pancake and Rosemary-Maple Chili sauce
- Raspberry Curd Galette, Gastrique with Vanilla Ice Cream
- Roasted Oysters with Shallots and Herbs
- Sautéed Shrimp and Broccoli with Egg White
- Shrimp–Egg White Frittata with Fingerling Home Fries
- Stinging Nettles Soup with New Orleans Gulf Shrimp, Sorrel and Yogurt
- Tuna au Poivre with Caramelized Cauliflower, Bacon–Red Wine Sauce
- Warm Chocolate-Hazelnut Cake with Frangelico Cream
Restaurant: North Square Restaurant and Lounge
Chef: Yoel Cruz
Ingredients for Pan-Roasted Poussin
- Three 16-ounce poussin (Cornish game hen)
- 4 ounces vegetable oil
- 1 cup white wine
Directions for Pan-Roasted Poussin
- Clean each poussin and split in half, seasoning both sides with salt and pepper. Heat two 12-inch frying pans on high heat, add 2 ounces vegetable oil to each. Place three halves in each frying pan, searing each side for four minutes. Transfer the poussin halves into a large roasting pan, skin side up.
- Remove any extra grease from the frying pans, add ½ cup of white wine to each pan, cook gently and pour the mixture into the roasting pan, over the poussin halves. Set aside.
Ingredients for Kale
- ½ ounce vegetable oil
- 4 strips bacon
- ½ onion, sliced
- 2 bunches green kale, cleaned and cut to a thickness of 1 inch
Directions for Kale
- In a 12-inch pan heated with vegetable oil, slowly cook the bacon on low heat for about 5 minutes (do not crisp!). Add onion and stir for two minutes.
- Remove some of the fat and add the kale, cooking for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, remove from pan and keep warm.
Ingredients for Creamed Corn
- 1 ounce vegetable oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups fresh corn
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 sprigs basil
Directions for Creamed Corn
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot. Keeping the pot on low heat, add onion, garlic and corn, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, heavy cream and basil. Let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, take half of the mixture and blend with a hand mixer (making sure to blend all the basil). Strain and put the sauce back into the pot and keep warm. Season with salt before serving.
Ingredients for Scallion Wheat Pancake
- 1 whole egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 scallions, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
Directions for Scallion Wheat Pancake
- Mix egg and milk in a bowl, then slowly add whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add scallions and melted butter.
- Heat the 12-inch pans, add one tablespoon butter into each pan and allow butter to melt. With a ladle, pour out 3 pancakes into each pan. Cook for 2 minutes on each side, remove from pan and keep warm.
Ingredients for Rosemary-Maple-Chili Sauce
Directions for Rosemary-Maple-Chili Sauce
- Break the chilies into small pieces, soak in hot water for 5 minutes and puree in a blender.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot. On low heat, cook the sliced onion and garlic cloves for 5 minutes. Slowly add maple syrup. Add the chili puree and rosemary. Let boil for five minutes until the mixture bubbles. Add chicken stock and veal stock. Simmer the sauce so it reduces by half.
- Pour Rosemary-Maple-Chili sauce over the poussin halves in the roasting pan. Roast at 350°F for 12 to 14 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked. Remove the sauce and strain it. Season sauce with a dash of salt.
- Reheat all ingredients before plating. On six 12-inch plates, first place the kale at the center of each plate, then place pancake on the kale, then place the poussin half on top. Spread creamed corn on one half of the plate, and drizzle sauce on the other half.
THESE RECIPES ARE THIRD-PARTY SUBMISSIONS AND ARE PUBLISHED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS WITHOUT REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. ANY USE OF THESE RECIPES IS DONE SOLELY AT THE USER’S RISK. USER AGREES THAT THERE ARE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR GUARANTEES THAT THESE RECIPES ARE ACCURATE, COMPLETE, RELIABLE, SAFE OR ERROR-FREE, AND USER AGREES TO HOLD HARMLESS NYC & COMPANY, THE CITY OF NEW YORK, AND THEIR RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES, AGENTS, OFFICIALS, EMPLOYEES AND ASSIGNS FROM ANY SUCH USE. THE RECIPES ARE PROPERTY OF THE RESPECTIVE OWNERS AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED, DISTRIBUTED OR USED FOR ANY COMMERCIAL PURPOSE WITHOUT EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT.