recipes / tuna au poivre with caramelized cauliflower, bacon–red wine sauce
by NYC Editor, 01/27/2009
- Barrel-Aged Feta-Crusted Halibut
- Beef Bourguignon
- Crispy Okra Salad (Kararee Bhindi)
- Dark Chocolate Pear Tart, Milk Chocolate Cream
- Grilled Seafood Sausages with Beurre Blanc Sauce
- Kataifi-Wrapped Scallops with Shallot-Thyme Sauce and Balsamic Reduction
- Mario's Meatballs
- Osso Bucco Salute
- Pan-Roasted Hanger Steak on Toasted Country Bread
- Pan-Roasted Poussin with Kale, Creamed Corn, Scallion Wheat Pancake and Rosemary-Maple Chili sauce
- Raspberry Curd Galette, Gastrique with Vanilla Ice Cream
- Roasted Oysters with Shallots and Herbs
- Sautéed Shrimp and Broccoli with Egg White
- Shrimp–Egg White Frittata with Fingerling Home Fries
- Stinging Nettles Soup with New Orleans Gulf Shrimp, Sorrel and Yogurt
- Tuna au Poivre with Caramelized Cauliflower, Bacon–Red Wine Sauce
- Warm Chocolate-Hazelnut Cake with Frangelico Cream
Restaurant: Tavern on the Green
Chef: Brian Young
Ingredients for Tuna au Poivre with Caramelized Cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
- 2 pounds ahi tuna, cut into four pieces
- 1 head cauliflower
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- Pinch of hot red pepper flakes
- 1 head escarole—cleaned, drained and torn into large, salad-size pieces
Directions for Tuna au Poivre with Caramelized Cauliflower
- Spread the peppercorns and coriander on a cutting board and with the back of a sauté pan, crush until coarsely cracked.
- Coat the tuna pieces with the spice mixture, pressing the peppercorns into the flesh. Refrigerate.
- Break apart head of cauliflower. Choose four half-fist-size pieces and set aside. Thinly slice the remaining cauliflower and place in a medium pot with milk, water and shallots. Cover and cook on medium heat for 20–25 minutes or until tender. Puree cooked cauliflower in blender, adding the 1/4 teaspoon salt and ground white pepper.
- Sauté the four large cauliflower pieces in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until golden brown. Remove, drain on paper towel, cut each piece into four and keep warm.
- In the same pan, add garlic and hot red pepper flakes and then stir in escarole. Cook until soft, adding a little more olive oil if needed.
- In another sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sear peppered tuna for about two minutes on each side.
Ingredients for Bacon–Red Wine Sauce:
- ¼ oz pepper bacon, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, peeled and diced
- 1 thyme sprig
- 8 ounces Merlot, cooked down and reduced to ¼ cup
- 8 ounces fish stock or low-fat chicken stock, cooked down and reduced to ¼ cup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Directions for Bacon–Red Wine Sauce
- Render bacon until caramelized. Drain bacon fat, add shallot and thyme to pan, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add reduced wine and stock, and reduce again by half. Whisk in butter until thoroughly incorporated.
Cut each tuna block into three even pieces across the grain. Place one set of three pieces in center of each of four plates. Place a scoop of the cauliflower puree next to last piece and surround with pieces of escarole and caramelized cauliflower. Drizzle a tablespoon of sauce over the tuna.
THESE RECIPES ARE THIRD-PARTY SUBMISSIONS AND ARE PUBLISHED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS WITHOUT REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. ANY USE OF THESE RECIPES IS DONE SOLELY AT THE USER’S RISK. USER AGREES THAT THERE ARE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR GUARANTEES THAT THESE RECIPES ARE ACCURATE, COMPLETE, RELIABLE, SAFE OR ERROR-FREE, AND USER AGREES TO HOLD HARMLESS NYC & COMPANY, THE CITY OF NEW YORK, AND THEIR RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES, AGENTS, OFFICIALS, EMPLOYEES AND ASSIGNS FROM ANY SUCH USE. THE RECIPES ARE PROPERTY OF THE RESPECTIVE OWNERS AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED, DISTRIBUTED OR USED FOR ANY COMMERCIAL PURPOSE WITHOUT EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT.