Historic Houses in NYC
by Annie Bergen, 04/23/2013
The King family. Courtesy, Queens Historical Society
Weeping Beech Park, 143-35 37th Ave., 718-939-0647, Flushing, Queens
This 18th-century farmhouse in Queens is named for British sea captain James King, who acquired it from his father-in-law in 1801. It was built circa 1785 in the Long Island half-house style. The present location of the house—twice moved to accommodate construction and prevent destruction—is Weeping Beech Park, which was home to America's first weeping beech tree. Now home to the Queens Historical Society, the house welcomes visitors, who will find Victorian-period furnishings alongside personal items belonging to the home's former residents, plus archival material covering the history of Queens. Group tours are offered by appointment.
Don't Miss: the Victorian parlor, with its period furnishings, including a large 19th-century secretary and horsehair sofa.