A 3,500-seat movie and vaudeville theater that opened in 1927, the Academy of Music hosted early US appearances by the Rolling Stones and the Dave Clark Five. In 1971, promoter Howard Stein began producing concerts at the aging movie house, including shows by Roxy Music, Black Sabbath and Lou Reed (whose December 21, 1973, show was released as Rock N Roll Animal). Two of Stein's most memorable New Year's Eve shows were headlined by The Band in 1971 (released as Rock of Ages) and by Blue Öyster Cult in 1973, supported by The Stooges and Kiss. In 1976, the theater's name was changed to The Palladium, but it remained an important rock venue for the next nine years. Frank Zappa's Halloween shows became a fall tradition, and The Clash made their New York debut at The Palladium in February 1979. In 1985, Studio 54 founder Steve Rubell transformed the theater into the City's leading disco, featuring top DJs like Junior Vasquez as well as sporadic live shows by James Brown and Was (Not Was). The Palladium closed in August 1997 following the sale of the building to New York University; it was subsequently demolished for the construction of a residence hall called Palladium Hall.