John Dorman, Coney Island's beloved candy man, was forced out of his seaside sweet stand, Philip's Candy Shop, in 2001 to make way for construction of the Stillwell Avenue subway station. The institution opened on the boardwalk in 1916, moving to the storefront in the '30s. Dorman, 77, reopened in 2003 on Staten Island, but his handmade taffy and mammoth lollipops would never be resurrected. Thankfully, Philip's is still a go-to source for other favorites such as candied apples, buttery fudge and pink candied popcorn, many of them created by his co--sweets monger, Peggy Cohn.
Find more restaurants & bars at Time Out New York