RCA recording studios

Manhattan – Flatiron District

RCA recording studios

155 E 24th St (bet. Lexington and Third Aves.)
Manhattan , NY 10010

description/

This historic recording studio occupied a building originally constructed in 1907 as a seven-story horse stable. It was later converted into a studio, where jazzman Jelly Roll Morton and country singer Jimmie Rodgers both recorded in the early 1930s. By July 1956—when Elvis Presley arrived to cut his breakthrough RCA single, “Don't Be Cruel”/“Hound Dog”—the space had been divided into two rooms, the larger Studio A and the smaller Studio B. In Studio Stories: How the Great New York Records Were Made, author David Simons described RCA Studio A as “an architectural marvel, a huge room with immense walls and ceilings,” portions of which could be reconfigured to change the room's acoustics as needed. In 1969, RCA moved its studios to 1133 Avenue of the Americas. In the late 1990s, the entire block of East 24th Street was demolished in an expansion of the Baruch College campus.

check-in date

check-out date

nyc newsletters.

Sign up for our newsletters to stay up to date about what's happening in NYC.