Meet your guide at the arch in Washington Square Park in the heart of the Village. Begin your tour with stories of the 2 times residents attempted to declare the neighborhood a sovereign state, first in 1916 and again the following year. See the place where 6 Villagers broke into the arch, climbed to the top, and unsuccessfully sought independence.
As you follow your guide through the streets, hear about the artists and innovators who flocked to the area, including Jackson Pollock, Allen Ginsberg, and Eugene O'Neill. Scope out the spots where authors like Dylan Thomas and Jack Kerouac drank—often too much—and the building which, at various times, housed the likes of Mark Twain, Andy Warhol, and Salvador Dali.
Thanks to the progressive attitudes of many of the Villagers, it's no surprise that the district became the focal point of new political and cultural ideas. Complete your tour by learning about the women's suffrage movement led by Crystal Eastman, scope out the spot of the nation's first racially integrated nightclub, and pause at the site of the Stonewall riots, considered to be the single most important event leading to the gay liberation movement.
- Live recitations of the poems and prose of the local artisans
- Charm, wit, and dash!
- Well researched stories, and debunking the legends and misinformation of other tours
- A dry sense of humor.
- Entry/Admission - Greenwich Village Literary Pub Crawl
- A pony.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
Terms & Conditions
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
Schedule & Info
Meet at the Washington Square Arch, at Washington Square Park North and 5th Avenue
90 to 120 minutes