- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Get inside tips from a local
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
At your selected time, meet your guide in front of the Trinity Church in lower Manhattan. Once the group is together, take the subway (own expense) to Brooklyn for an easy, 2-hour walking tour to discover the history of African American gospel music. Your experience culminates with a 2-hour live gospel performance.
On your walking tour, enjoy the iconic brownstone homes and stroll along the Brooklyn Heights Promenade for an unbeatable view of the Manhattan skyline on the Hudson River. Along the way, your guide delves into the evolution of the genre, from its origins in American slavery to its influences on today’s Billboard charts. Pass by Plymouth Church, where the a cappella group known as the Jubilee Singers captivated New Yorkers, and put gospel music on the map. Keep your ears perked to learn about other important figures including Charles A. Tindley (aka the “Father of Gospel Music) and Thomas A. Dorsey, and how this inspirational music influenced a wide range of jazz, rock and blues musicians such as Elvis Presley and the Beatles.
After your walking tour of Brooklyn Heights, you'll arrive at the Brooklyn Tabernacle in the heart of downtown for a church service. What began with a handful of members in a small, run-down building is today a nondenominational congregation of nearly 10,000 people. It's perhaps best known for its Grammy Award–winning choir, which has catapulted the gospel genre into the hearts of people around the world. See for yourself as sermons get a boost from either the Brooklyn Tabernacle's own choir or from visiting gospel groups. You might find it hard to resist letting out a “hallelujah!” as the unified choir sings uplifting songs and hymns.
When the service is over, you are free to explore Brooklyn at your leisure with a provided map that notes subway stations and dining suggestions.
- 2-hour walking tour
- 2-hour church service
- Licensed tour guide
- Map of Brooklyn with suggestions
- Subway ticket (USD$2.75 for single ride ticket)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Return transportation to Manhattan
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Purchasing a single ride subway ticket prior to the tour is recommended
- Due to the popularity and policies of the church, customers who want to attend this tour must stay for the entire service (2 Hours)
- Out of respect for the congregation hosting, please dress appropriately and refrain from wearing flip-flops, tank tops or shorts.
Terms & Conditions
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
Schedule & Info
Trinity Church, Lower Manhattan
The Brooklyn Tabernacle
17 Smith Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201