Your walking tour begins at Union Square, which has traditionally acted as the division between the north and south sections of Manhattan. See the infamous Tammany Hall building, and learn about political corruption in New York City in the late 19th century. You'll also hear how the city became the center of America's garment industry and exactly where the Ladies' Mile is.
As you work your way up 5th Avenue, step back to the time of Teddy Roosevelt as you see his birthplace and view rare artifacts relating to the 26th president. Stroll around Gramercy Park and admire mansions built in the 1800s, including the current and former homes of famous residents such as Julia Roberts, Thomas Edison, James Harper, Samuel J. Tilden, the Steinway family, James Cagney, John Barrymore, Gregory Peck, Stanford White, and John Steinbeck.
End your tour by visiting the exclusive Players Club, which is not open to the general public. Founded by Edwin Booth (an actor and brother to John Wilkes Booth, the man who assassinated President Lincoln) in 1888 as a society club for actors and artists, the club's building is an amazing example of Gilded Age opulence and architecture. Notable past and present members are in no shortage with this iconic place. Artifacts on display include original artwork by Thomas Nast and Norman Rockwell, Mark Twain's pool cue, and Edwin Booth's bedroom, which hasn't been changed since he died in 1893.
- Local guide
- Entrance to the exclusive Players Club
- Private tour
- Walking tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Audio Guide that translates tour
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- The Players Club has a strict dress code. Attire is business casual. No shorts, sneakers, flip-flops, or beachwear of any kind is permitted in the club. Those dressed inappropriately will not be admitted, there are no exceptions.
- You must be at least 12 years of age to attend this tour
- A moderate amount of walking is involved, please wear appropriate shoes
- The Players Club has multiple flights of stairs and there is no elevator for guests
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Guests acting inappropriately within the Player's Club will be asked to immediately leave the premises
- Tour operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- If canceled because of dangerous weather, you will be given the option of an alternative tour date or full refund
- Tour operator reserves the right to deviate from the route of the tour in the event of marches, parades, and circumstances beyond our control.
- Tour does not operate for the entire month of August
Terms & Conditions
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
Schedule & Info
Departures available from 10:00am-10:30am
The Players Club
16 Gramercy Park South