We begin our tour in front of the Eldridge Street Synagogue, a beautifully restored landmark built but Eastern European Jewish immigrants in 1887. Hear about how the Lower East Side became a popular destination for immigrant newly arrived to New York City. View the Manhattan Bridge and learn how transportation changed the neighborhood. Visit Jarmulsky's Bank, the site of several infamous bank runs and the Jewish Forward Building, the publication house for the most popular newspaper in the area in the late 19th and early 20th Century. Lean about entertainment and education for the newly arrived immigrants and how their customs have changed how we do things in America.
We then stop by Kossar's Bialys and The Pickle Guys where you will be given a short break to try some food. As you enjoy your snacks, learn how immigrant food traditions have integrated into American food culture. We then walk to Orchard Street where we discuss the history of tenement buildings and how they changed the housing in New York.
After stops at the Essex Market, Economy Candy, the University Settlement House, and Angel Orensanz, (where we talk about the newly arrived immigrant groups and how the area has changed) we visit 3 famous eateries; Russ & Daughters, Katz's Deli, and Yonah Schimmel Knish Bakery. After the tour concludes, you are within a stones throw of numerous restaurants to catch an early dinner.
- Local guide
- Food and drinks
- Entrance to the Eldridge Street Synagogue Museum
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Audio Guide ( that translates the tour)
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates rain and shine; please dress accordingly
- If canceled because of dangerous weather, you will be given the option of an alternative tour date or full refund
- Involves a good amount of walking
- Food vendors are not guaranteed
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough guests to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- We reserve the right to deviate from the route of the tour in the event of marches, parades, and circumstances beyond our control.
Terms & Conditions
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
Schedule & Info
Eldridge Street Synagogue
Yonah Schimmel Knish Bakery