Uncover Williamsburg’s layers of history and its evolution from a gritty industrial area, to a counterculture haven, and finally to the hip Mecca it became today.
- Discover how Williamsburg was originally created as a real estate development to attract wealthy Manhattanites and trace the footprint of this long-gone era of Williamsburg
- Learn about the counter culture which thrived in the neighborhood during the 90’s and where this history is being preserved today
- Locate and decipher works of art from today’s creative community including the mosaic glass water tower and shed by renowned artist Tom Fruin
- See the Mona Lisa of Williamsburg and hear the story behind it
Williamsburg, today, is seen as a high-end “Real estate development with water views.” That’s exactly how a reputable NY blogger described the post-2006 rezoned neighborhood word for word. A neighborhood most recently known as the home planet of the hipster was before a haven for counterculture artists looking for cheap rents that was before an enclave to every major immigrant migration NYC has ever seen (looking for cheap rents) and was before that a melting pot Mecca of American industry and capitalism that was before… in the very beginning… a high end “real estate development with water views.” Who says you can’t go home again?
Williamsburg more than any other neighborhood in the world is unique because it took the three things most unlike each other, industry, art, and unabashed commercialism and made them live together under one big bridge. This tour will examine the layers of Williamsburg, some noticed, some unnoticed, that come together to form an unlikely synthesis of industry, art, grit, and hip.
This tour was developed in partnership with the Wythe Hotel which is located in a 1901 factory building on the Williamsburg waterfront
- Admission ticket
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if wheelchair assistance is required
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Terms & Conditions
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
Schedule & Info
Wythe Hotel, 80 Wythe Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11249