The lighthouse on the northeastern tip of Roosevelt Island was constructed in 1872 by architect James Renwick Jr., who also designed St. Patrick's Cathedral and Grace Church. The 50-foot tall tower was built with stone mined from the island by inmates from a penitentiary. Decommissioned in 1940, the lighthouse serves as the focal point of a 3.5-acre park that was designed by landscape architect Nicholas Quennell and added in 1977. It provides expansive views of Upper Manhattan, as well as benches, tables and space for picnics, barbecues and fishing.
Parks & Gardens